Statement from Australian Association of Football Clubs
The new Australian Association of Football Clubs representing NPL clubs had its inaugural meeting in Melbourne21 March 2017 | FT Editor
Below is the statement issued by the Australian Association of Football Clubs today after their inaugural meeting in Melbourne on March 20.
In a packed Sports House at Albert Park, Melbourne, The Association of Australian Football Clubs Ltd (AAFC) held its inaugural meeting of clubs last night.
With almost 100 NPL clubs from around the country joining the recently formed organisation, last night was their first opportunity to meet, share their concerns, experiences and knowledge and map a path to implementing necessary improvements to the structure of the game in Australia.
Clubs from Western Australia, North Queensland and every State and region in between were present and represented. Together, they:
- Unanimously endorsed AAFC to represent their interests; and
- Nominated delegates from each State to ensure that the organisation is an effective national body.
With these key aims established, the clubs also identified initial issues and goals and resolved that AAFC would:
1. Immediately pursue representation at the FFA Congress;
2. Develop a model for a Second Division to be implemented by the earliest, 2018/2019 season, with a timeline and plan for its full integration with the A League including promotion and relegation;
3. Investigate opportunities for reductions to operating costs and increases to revenue and revenue streams to ensure financial viability while reducing the cost of junior participation at this level;
4. Review and propose changes to the finance model and competition structure to unlock revenue streams and ensure compensation for players it develops is fair and readily secured;
5. Build relationships at national, state and local levels in respect of facilities, sponsorship, grants and commercial opportunities;
6. Facilitate knowledge-sharing among its members through networking and sharing of information.
AAFC will engage constructively with FFA, ALeague clubs, PFA, State Federations and other key stakeholders to achieve its aims which it considers will benefit the game as a whole.