A-League | Roo Radar | A-League expansion | New Zealand
Australian football in the spotlight due to VAR failure10 May 2018 | FT Editor
Slim pickings today with both the Fairfax and Australian journos having the day off.
- More departures from Sydney FC: this time Jordy Buijs and Luke Wilkshire. Neither are unexpected.
- A returnee: Tarek Elrich returns to Western Sydney Wanderers and home.
- In this report on Elrich's departure from Adelaide United, Val Migliaccio reminds us that he 'told us so' in March.
- What a difference a few weeks make! David Davutovic gives Melbourne Victory an 'A' in his season report card. One doubts he would have done so four weeks ago.
- Yay! We made it on the world stage. Our VAR grand final failure has been noticed by everyone, and IFAB (the law-making body for football) says the system needs “back-up”.
- News Corp reports that Jamie Maclaren has revealed that another 'stranger' is on the “roo radar”, and it's one of his team mates at Hibs - 25-year-old Martin Boyle (pictured), whose father was born in Sydney. Boyle is currently purusing an Australian passport; obviously too late (even if considered good enough) for the World Cup, but the Asian Cup is only seven months away.
- Former Socceroos captain, John Kosmina, may well be saddling-up as coach of NPL Queensland team, former NSL team and A-League aspirant, Brisbane City, for the fourth consecutive year, but he doesn't intend being at the helm if Brisbane City are accepted into the A-League.
- New Zealand Football Federation joins the Norway FA in granting equal pay and equal working conditions for men and women national team players. Well done. How long till Australia follows suit?
a-league, socceroos, a-league expansion, martin boyle, new zealand football