Andres Iniesta | A-League | A-League expansion | Socceroos
Andres Iniesta. We can dream, can't we?09 May 2018 | FT Editor
Exictement on #sokkahtwitter with rumours that Andres Iniesta may join the A-League.
- According to this report, FFA will contact Iniesta's management to gauge whether his interest in the A-League is for real.
- This Japanese report of a Spanish report suggests they may be wasting their time because he's going to Vissel Kobe in the J.League.
- However, David Davutovic says FFA is willing to “open the purse” of a $3 million “marquee war chest” and have sounded out Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC about their interest in him. Considering Iniesta is supposedly interested in the “Australian lifestyle”, why is the approach limited to these two teams?
- News Corp has a bit each way though, with this report via AAP saying that it was all just rumours and it looks as if he's on his way to Japan after all. A similar report runs in the Fairfax press.
- But, regardless of which report is right - Japan, Australia or even the big money men in $hina - Sebastian Hassett says fighting for Iniesta's signature would be a good thing to do.
- Corey Gameiro signs for his fifth club - this time Central Coast Mariners.
- Davutovic runs a report card over Melbourne City's season and gives them a 'B'.
- None of the traditional press mentioned it, but Alex Wilkinson has re-signed with Sydney FC.
- Greg O'Rourke's latest admission is that, gosh yes, some “quick thinking” might have resulted in the VAR checking the FOX Sports cameras once their feed was lost. But somehow quick thinking and FFA don't normally go together, even if not their direct responsibility in this instance.
- Melbourne Victory's Chairman, Anthony Di Pietro, backs a third A-League club in Melbourne declaring it could create “mega A-League interest” in the city. He also urges “warring factions” to put their differences aside - but isn't he one of the movers and shakers in one of the warring factions?
- AAP picks-up on the report from Ray Gatt yesterday regarding Southern Expansion's comments on Sydney FC crowds and where their supporters come from.
- It's barely news, simply because it's logical, that Bert van Marwijk already has a good idea of who will be in the 26-man squad he'll take to Turkey for the pre-World Cup training camp. Hardly surprising considering it's being announced on Monday. The final squad will be named on 3 June.
andres iniesta, a-league, a-league expansion, socceroos