Socceroos | Samantha Kerr | Matildas | Neymar
Socceroos attracting overseas interest, as is Sam Kerr with steps being taken to retain her in the W-League06 July 2018 | FT Editor
The World Cup is starting to pay dividends for some Socceroos writes Ray Gatt who is informed by agent, Tony Rallis. Gatt writes that:
- He might not have got to play, but Matt Jurman has signed a two-year, $4 million deal with Al Ittihad in Saudi Arabia;
- Likewise, another one who wasn't played by Bert van Marwijk, Jamie Maclaren, “is being linked” to a move to a number of unnamed clubs in Europe;
- Two offers have been made from Middle East clubs for Rhys Williams (who wasn't in the Russia squad but who played 14 times for the Socceroos between 2009 and 2013);
- Trent Sainsbury has “attracted the attention” of a Premier League club and Championship clubs, Aston Villa and Queens Park Rangers, are also interested;
- Josh Risdon has drawn interest from two Turkish clubs and one Russian club;
- And, of course, there is Daniel Arzani whose agent, Vince Grella, whisked him away from Russia to western Europe as soon as the Socceroos were eliminated. Rumours abound that clubs including Juventus, Bayer Leverkusen and PSV Eindhoven are all set to make an offer.
Gatt notes that Socceroos assistant coach under Bert van Marwijk, Mark van Bommel, has been appointed head coach of PSV Eindhoven. (Gatty also notes that van Bommel is van Marwijk's son-in-law - not relevant to do so in this instance, otherrwise why not also note that Sainsbury is Graham Arnold's son-in-law, especially as Sainsbury is “earmarked as the next Socceroos captain”).
As reported last month, Sam Kerr's place in the next W-League season is at risk. She said it was because she wanted different experiences and to 'look after' herself financially, and now we learn that FFA is scurrying to put together a package to retain her presence in the W-League. She is currently playing with Chicago Red Stars with eight matches to go (excluding finals), and is also fielding interest from European clubs.
As reported on Wednesday, Kerr and Adelaide United's Alex Chidiac, were also awarded the PFA player and young player awards (alongside Aaron Mooy and Daniel Arzani). The article notes that the Matildas will play in the Tournament of Nations in the USA later this month. As well as the US, the tournament also includes Brazil and Japan.
A Swiss television station - with obviously a lot of time on their hands - has calculated that Neymar has spent almost 14 minutes on the ground (our pic) during this World Cup. He also had 14 fould against him in the first two games, which is excessive. It's certainly kept a lot of creative people entertained with memes and the like.
Let's see how he and Brazil go against Belgium. The match kicks-off at 4am AEST on Saturday. The earlier match between Uruguay and France kicks-off at midnight AEST.
socceroos, matildas, samantha kerr, #ton2018, 2018 world cup